Join our team
Why Work Here?
At RBR, we believe that our employees are our most valuable asset. In fact, we attribute our success as a company in part to our ability to recruit, hire, and maintain a skilled and productive work force.
RBR invests considerable effort into research and development, which is carried out in collaboration with customers to ensure that the instruments produced are precisely what the customer wants and can afford. RBR is a global leader in oceanographic instrumentation, providing competitive and innovative products to scientists and researchers worldwide.
Come join our team and help measure the blue planet!
RBR was recently honoured at the Best Ottawa Business awards with a 2016 Best Business trophy. The creative folks at Waterbridge Media put together this quick video about the company and our future. Take a look and then check out our open positions.
RBR endeavours to make our site accessible to any and all users. If you need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at +1 613-599-8900 x266 or at [email protected] This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
RBR offers benefits that are a blend of good things both in and away from the office. Everyone works hard, but we want there to be enough time to take long holidays too. We eat together as a company every Friday, give you cash to stay fit or reduce the impact of your commute, and match your personal charitable donations.
Our current benefits:
- 20 days annual vacation, plus shutdown between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- RRSP contribution matching
- Fitness reimbursement program ($200 annually)
- Electric vehicle incentive up to $10,000
- Charitable donation matching ($1,000 annually)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee referral reward
- Healthcare plan (80% medical, 80% basic dental, 50% major dental)
- Friday catered lunches together
Our company performance bonus is 10% of salary awarded and payable quarterly. This reflects that we all pull in the same direction, and no-one ever says “that’s not in my job description.”
Of course, these things are open to change – we listen to staff feedback as well as the communities in which we operate.
RBR creates instruments to measure the blue planet. From the ocean abyss to the polar ice cap, our sensors track water parameters such as temperature, depth, salinity, dissolved gases, and many others. RBR equipment enables researchers to develop innovative measurement solutions that are deployed in the surf zone, mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, towed behind boats, and sent to the bottom of the deep ocean.
As a Java Developer at RBR, you will work in conjunction with the entire engineering team to develop our Ruskin software which enables researchers to deploy oceanographic sensors and recover data effectively, as well as enable internal users to configure and calibrate these devices.
Over the last five years, we’ve grown 20% annually and are now ~60 people. We’ve been recognised for three years by Growth 500 and have won a Best Ottawa Business Award.
We provide a balanced work environment complete with a very competitive compensation package.
- Maintain, suggest and implement improvements to the existing Java code base;
- Contribute to the development of our software architecture and roadmap;
- Collaboratively develop and implement a release plan;
- Deploy feature changes to the User Interface (UI);
- Architect and implement storage databases and manage interactions with instruments;
- Maintain and improve communications with RBR instruments;
- Provide internal support to Engineering and Production team members;
- Interface with the Calibration lab to ensure performance and accuracy of our oceanographic sensors;
- Action support tickets generated by external users;
- Review and test code changes provided by other developers (QA);
- Maintain the software build system (Release Engineering).
- Post-secondary education in computer science/programming or related discipline with at least five (5) years of relevant work experience;
- Multi-threaded expertise with very high proficiency with the Java programming language;
- Experience with Windows and OSX development, SWT and OSGi (including p2);
- Design pattern / OOP mentality is essential;
- Familiarity with Atlassian tools (Jira, Confluence), SQL in general and SQlite in particular;
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work in an interrupt-driven environment;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and changing priorities;
- UI/UX experience is an asset.
The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Enjoy fast paced work environments;
- Enjoy unique design challenges;
To apply, you must prepare a cover letter that references RBR, how you are uniquely qualified for this role, what makes you exceptional and what will make you an outstanding part of the RBR team.